When the subject of Fracking was discussed in class, I immediately recalled that it had something to do with some type of drilling. But I have to admit that is all I could remember about the subject. Prior to returning to college, I was much more informed about the events of the day. Since I don’t have free time, there is not much TV watching and paper reading. I spend my time with family and friends when I get a break.
After reading about Fracking, I realized that it should be the subject of conversations that I have with my family and friends. I didn’t know that the issue was hitting so close to home. The impurities from the process could be affecting us all as we speak. The map below where the drilling is in Western PA.
Fracking has been linked to “…bromide in water and brominated compounds are potentially highly toxic” (Rogers, 2011)
The concern is not a new one. “Will there be radioactivity or arsenic released into groundwater? Will the emissions of thousands of natural gas sources cause us to exceed the Environmental Protection Agency's ozone standard, thereby requiring pollution controls that limit industrial development” (Rogers, 2011)
A study is being conducted but the Fracking process is preceding the results of the study. Is there a reason that the process can’t wait until we get results?
Marcellus Shale is an,”…immense stretch of rock that runs deep underground through parts of Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio and West Virginia. This rock is rich in natural gas” (MyRangeResources.com, 2011). It is described by MyRangeResources as, “…the power we need to help transform Pennsylvania's economy.” Considering what I have read about the effects that might happen as a result of the drilling, it seems like we will be trading our health for a source of natural gas. Since the cost of health care continues to rise and the number of citizens without health care continues to rise, it seems like a pretty poor trade off. The oil companies and the state will profit and the residents will suffer. But if you listen to this ad, you would think that this is the safest best thing that could happen to us as a community. Each video gives you the warm and fuzzies but does not address the real issues.
I know that I have been out of the loop of current events for a while, but I don’t recall being asked if I wanted this type of drilling to occur in my back yard. I now realize what Noam Chomsky meant by the “Manufacturing of Consent.” Those of us who have to live with the fallout of the drilling consulted or informed about the process. Those who will profit the most - big business, the state and federal government - are all well informed and have a hand in the process. Do you think that we as the residents of the state should have a hand in at least slowing the Fracking process?
FrackTracker.org. (nd) Retrieved on line from: http://fractracker.org/
MyRangeResources.com. (2011) “The Rock the Powers Pennsylvania’s Economy” Retrieved on line from: http://myrangeresources.com/Natural-Gas/natural.aspx?gclid=CML3sMWchKwCFYSK4AodPk9FJw#?id=0
Rogers, R. PittsburghPostGazette.com.(2011) “So What's the Rush to Drill for Gas?” Retrieved on line from: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11229/1167715-109-0.stm?cmpid=newspanel5#ixzz1Y25vYUIl
White, J. NY Times. (Feb. 2011). Toxic Contamination From Natural Gas Wells. Retrieved on line from: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/02/27/us/natural-gas-map.html?ref=us
No comments:
Post a Comment